Sunday, August 10, 2014

My 2014 Summer Staples

Now, I cannot say Summer is my favorite season but I do have certain staples that help me get through the boiling weather. From clothes, to hair products, to makeup, to food - there are plenty of ways to cool off and feel gorgeous.
 
 
 
1. WATER. WATER. WATER. I know it's a cliché thing to say but it will ultimately save your life. Living in the south has reminded me to drink more; I've had my share of scares from being dehydrated. Also, it will save your skin - especially if you're one of the many people who tan or for my fair-skinned friends, suffer from pesky sunburns. This leads us to our second important Summer must-have.
 
2. Sunscreen/Fake Tan. There's a difference between a sun kissed glow and looking like cheap, beat up leather. As far as sunscreen goes, I recommend Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sunscreen with Hydresia, SPF 40. It smells wonderful and is extremely light weight. My only tip for the product would be to use conservatively. A little goes a long way and if used too liberally, will show up with a white cast. It can be prevented though and also will save you product.
As for fake tan, I do prefer St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse. It has always been a favorite. It feels like velvet and always goes on evenly. I look for non-orangey, evenness when I look for self tanners and this product is my number one. It may be a bit pricey for some, but I would say it's completely worth it. I do have some dupes, so let me know if you'd be interested to read that!
Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sunscreen - $14.99
(Currently out of stock online but can be picked up at certain drugstores - I usually get mine at Whole Foods in the lotion/soap section)
 
St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse - $42.00
(In Stock)
 
3. Cleansing Wipes. Always handy to have. Nobody enjoys a sweaty, dirty and oily face while they're out having a nice picnic, going to a rad festival or just in general! Simple Skincare has proven me right! They have two different facial wipes that I have found most reliable. The first is their Cleansing Facial Wipes - great for just a simple (see what I did there) cleanse to wipe the grime away. The next set are my absolute saviors! Having very combination skin, I get incredibly oily in the T zone and the rest of my face is dry. Simple has Oil Balancing Wipes that are perfect for my skin. It really rids the outside oils that leave my face looking greasy and really penetrates the dry areas with moisture. I'm a firm believer in Simples' products!
Most of their products you can find at your local drug store, but they give you options to buy them online as well. The wipes runs about $5, so very budget friendly!
 
4. Backpacks. I know everyone has mixed emotions on backpacks, that they "aren't for them." But I have found this to be one of my favorite Summer essentials. If you're a Summer adventurer or tend to carry EVERYTHING with you or even just think they look cool - backpacks are for you. I find that I can shove my makeup, camera, phone charger, a book, wallet, etc. in there and I'll always have room for more. Plus, there are several options as far as looks go. I went for the Veronica by Frye which isn't in everyone's budget (nor mine, it was a gift) but mine was purchased at Nordstrom and they really do have quite the selection. Backpacks can be inexpensive though. I recommend checking out TJ Maxx (or TK if you're in Europe), Marshalls, Target or more.
 
5. Solid Lightweight Tee's. While I love high street clothing and getting fancy, I'm a sucker for going out and being comfortable as well. Lightweight tee's and off the shoulder, sheer fabrics are my go-to. H&M gives me everything I need and I can stock up on the most snuggly, inexpensive and universal shirts! You can pair these with any type jean, skirts, vests, shorts - anything and they work! I recommend going with their Slub Jersey tee's. They are addicting!
Slub Jersey Tee in Dark Green - $9.95
 
6. Sunglasses. This is by far the most needed essential. Luckily, sunglasses can be used year round. If you're like me, you have to have a different pair of sunnies for every outfit (that's exaggerated, but yes.. I'm a hoarder.) Basically, I'm obsessed. Cheap, new, expensive, vintage, funky, classic - you name it and I probably own them. I think if a pair of sunglasses does their job and makes you feel like a badass - get them. They're eye-saving and can make an outfit. Check out my two favs below!

Alexander McQueens' Spine Skull Round Sunglasses - $350.00
 
Targets' Cateye Sunglasses in Tortoise - $14.99
 
 
7. Smoothies. Bless the person who thought to throw fruit, yogurt, milk, and whatever else together to create such deliciousness. They deserve all the smoothies in the world. The best way to start a day is with a fresh smoothie. During Summer I'm always on the go and so busy trying to enjoy the daylight that I tend to wait for bigger meals later in the day. To keep my energy and metabolism up, a smoothie is the best pick me up. Click here to find the recipe for one of my favorites!
 

Preventions' Berry Good Workout Smoothie - YUM!
 
 
Now, while I have several more - most are fashion/makeup related. I may make a second post on those soon! Keep a look out for more tips in the future!
 
XO, Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment